Description of Sorafenat
Brand Name : Sorafenat
Composition : Sorafenib Tosylate
Manufactured by : Natco Pharma Ltd.
Available Dose: 200 mg
Dosage Form : Tablets
Packing : Pack of 120 Tablets
Sorafenat is a prescription oriented medicine under guidance and advice of registered medical practioner. It contain salt of sorafenib Tosylate as a active substance. The drug manufactured by Natco. Sorafenat is an anticancer drug.
Pharmacology of Sorafenat
Mechanism of action
Sorafenat suppress the surface of cell and intracellular kinase to delay the growth of cancer cells. Soranib act as a biological treatment that is a protein kinase inhibitor. The protein kinase is an enzyme( chemical messenger). This enzyme enhance grow of tumour cells.
Sorafenat also act as multi kinase inhibitor, Since Sorafenat blocks protein kinase. It has two way action , Sorafenat will target the protein which normally help to grow malignant cells and on other hand it helps to stop cancer cells forming from new blood vessels.
Absorption: Sorafenat tablet after administration, when compared to oral solution the mean bioavailability is 38-49%. The peak plasma level of Sorafenat is 3hrs. Sorafenat with moderate fat meal(30% fat), bioavailability is same and with high fat meal(50%), bioavailability is reduced to 29%. Therefore Sorafenat is administrated without food.
Distribution: The human plasma protein bounding of Sorafenat is 99.5%
Metabolism: In liver CYP3A4, Sorafenat undergo oxidative metabolism and in glucuronidation by UGT1A9. Sorafenat has been identified 8 metabolite in which 5 metabolite present in plasma.
Elimination: In oral administration, 96% of dose excreated within 14 days, by 77% dose in feces and 19% dose in urine as glucuronidated.
Indication of Sorafenat
• Sorafenat used to treat the hepatocellular carcinoma
• Treatment of kidney cancer the sorafenat tablet is used
• Sorafenat are used for the treatment of patients with advanced carcinoma refractory to radioactive iodine (metastatic thyroid cancer)
Dose & Dosage's of Sorafenat
The recommended dose of SORAFENAT Tablets is 400 mg (2 x 200 mg tablets)
• Sorafenat taken two times in a day on empty stomach (at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal).
• Treatment should continue till the patient is not clinically benefiting from therapy.
• If you missed a dose take it as soon as possible, if time reach for next dose, then skip missed dose and continue regular schedule. Do not take extra or 2 dose at a time.
Side Effects of Sorafenat
Common Side Effects : Acne ; Dry skin ; Nausea ; Itching or rash skin ; Vomiting, ; Diarrhea ; Patchy hair thinning, ; Loss of appetite ; Stomach ache ; mouth dryness ; throat soreness ; Tiredness etc.
Serious Side Effects : Bloody stools ; Coughing up blood / vomit ; fast heart rate ; low concentration ; Chest heavy feeling ; Sudden weakness ; Increased blood pressure ; Severe skin problem; yellowing of the skin or eyes etc.
Contraindication of Sorafenat
• If you have hypersensitivity, avoid using Sorafenat tablet
• Carboplatin and paclitaxel combination with Sorafenat will leads to squamous cell lung cancer.
Drug Interaction of Sorafenat
• Sorafenat used to treat the hepatocellular carcinoma • Treatment of kidney cancer the sorafenat tablet is used • Sorafenat are used for the treatment of patients with advanced carcinoma refractory to radioactive iodine (metastatic thyroid cancer)
Precaution of Sorafenat
To make sure you are safe to use Sorafenat medicine, Inform the doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
• kidney or liver problems other than cancer
• high BP
• Cardiac problems
• a history of stroke
If you are allergic to Sorafenib (the active ingredients)
Usage & Safety profile of Sorafenat Pregnancy & Lactation
Category D: Sorafenat can harm to an unborn baby and cause injury and even death to the unborn baby if you treatment during the 2nd and 3rd trimesters of pregnancy. if you are pregnant do not use the Sorafenat medicine without the knowledge of your doctor.. It is not known that this medicine passes into breast milk or could harm a new born baby. Do not use Sorafenat medication ,if your breast feeding.
Storage of Sorafenat
• Sorafenat stored at 250C
• Keep it in cool and dry place and protect from light and heat
• Keep it in a locked cupboard, so that children can’t reach out.
• Sorafenat should store in its original container and close it tightly.
• Sorafenat should keep away from children.